Product reject rates dropped dramatically
Chrome plating is a long, involved process and typically starts with degreasing, rinsing and cleaning, tedious polishing, then buffing, then acid dipping (etching), applying a metal catalyst then nickel and/ or copper plating (many times calling for multiple layers) prior to the chrome plating itself. Typically the parts are rinsed in between each process. As you can imagine, any particulate will show up as a defect and can’t be tolerated.
One auto parts manufacturer was encountering high costs and a severe problem with product reject rate. The rejects were due to particulate from their plating bath causing blemishes in the plating layer. The competitive bath filters were just not filtering their plating solutions properly and consistently.
This parts plant manager was furious with the problems they were having. Our rep, Jeff Bean, boldly stated he could solve their filtration problem.
During his process evaluation, Jeff discovered another filter issue. The existing filters, as received, would contaminate the baths and had to be pre-rinsed before they went into the filter vessels. This was a costly and tedious process.
Jeff immediately involved one of our premium filter suppliers, Pentair Engineered Filtration. Pentair was the perfect choice to develop the proper filter solution.
At the heart of the problem solving was Pentair’s Technology Research Center (TRC) laboratory.
Pentair utilized sophisticated testing equipment to examine the existing filters being used.
It was found some of the filters ratings were dramatically different than the packaging indicated. (After testing their existing filter products, it was found that 0.5 micron filters were really 2.5 micron filters.) What micron filters were really needed?
After further discussions with the customer on the exact level of filtration required, Pentair test filters were furnished. After the initial tests were positive, additional Pentair filters were ordered.
- The Pentair filters could be installed right out of the box. No more pre-rinsing was required.
- The Pentair filters cleaned up the plating baths significantly better.
- Due to continued recirculation, the baths actually continued to improve over time.
- Product reject rates went down significantly.
- Filter life was comparable even with the much improved efficiency and repeatability.
- Filter element costs per filter were comparable to prior filters even with the improved filtration ability.
- $$$$ Thousands were saved due to lower scrap rate.
- The bottom line result was a competitive product with exceptional dirt holding capacities, precise filtration ratings, repeatable performance, low pressure drops, and high efficiencies.
Put our experience and knowledge to work toward solving your problems. Our solutions may save you a lot of time, money and headaches.
Call us today and let us know how we can help.